Counter Strike 1.6 dedicated server installation on Windows XP tutorial
In order to install a Counter Strike 1. 6 dedicated server, you need :
a.Windows XP, processor 1000 ghz, memory 256 ram
b. Connexion to internet
c. 300 – 400 MB free space on disk
You shall have to follow a few steps :
1. Connect to the internet
2. Download here the CS 1.6 Server Creator installer and unzipp it anywhere on disk.
3. Create an new directory on your disk and name it HLDS . It can be named anyhow but we shall use HLDS because it`s classic .
4. Now doubleclick on installer.exe and when the selection window appeares you select the new directory HLDS . Hit OK and wait a few moments . A blue window will appear on screen displaying the scroll of the installation . At this point the installer downloads and installs all the server`s components in your HLDS directory. It can take some time to do it, depending on the internet connection , so have a little pacience .When the installer finishes his work , check out the HLDS directory and see if it has approximativly 315 MB .If it has , then everything it`s ok and if it hasn`t 315 MB you`ll have to repeat this step .Open the HLDS directory ; it should look like this :
Now open the cstrike folder , that should look like this :
5. Next step is to set the server up for accepting non steam clients . In order to do that download you can use one ofe these methods:
5.1 Rcommended – Use Dual protocol method (47+48). Download Dproto (latest version), double click it and choose as installation folder, the main directory of your server (HLDS). Then go toHLDS\cstrike\addons\metamod, open plugins.ini and edit this line there:_win32 addons\dproto\dproto.dll5.2 The old swds.dll No Stream patcher. Download it fron this link . Double click the exe and chose as installation folder, the main directory of your server (HLDS)
If you want a Stem Only dedicated server, just skip this step !
6. Next step is to configure te server.cfg in order to make your server work on the internet . Go toHLDS\cstrike folder and open server.cfg with Wordpad or Notepad. Deleeverithing and paste this:
// server name
hostname “Server Name”
// rcon passsword
// server cvars
// round specific cvars
// bandwidth rates/settings
// server logging
// execute ban files
Edit your server name and any other cvar you like (only if you know what you are doing). Save the file and exit.
7. Add these lines in server.cfg . They will make your server visible in game`s Internet list of servers.
setmaster add 18.104.22.168:27010
setmaster add 22.214.171.124
setmaster add 126.96.36.199
setmaster add 188.8.131.52
setmaster add 184.108.40.206:27040
setmaster add 220.127.116.11:27040
setmaster add 18.104.22.168:27010
9. In order to turn the server on, create a shortcut of hlds.exe file on your desktop and double click it. Edit the Server Name and chose your map, port and RCON Password and click Start Server. Thehlds.exe file is located inside your main directory (HLDS).
The installer automatically installed Amx Mod X 1.8.1 on your server. Amx Mod X helps you to administrate your server ( change maps, set up cvars, kick players) and shows the game statistics .
To see if it runs properly go to the server console and type meta list . If the message recived is:
AMX Mod X – RUN
..then everything it`s OK.
This is pritty much it. Have Fun !